Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My fella and I are both on ssi. If we choose to live

Customer Question

My fella and I are both on ssi. If we choose to live together, how would that affect both benefits. My home is completely paid off which is a plus for him.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the two of you move in together, your income will be combined for purposes of determining whether you're eligible for SSI. When determining need, SSI does include free food or shelter, so if he is currently paying rent somewhere, moving in with you will probably lower his benefit. How much is up to Social Security. But you are required to report the change in your situation - failure to tell them could result in a revocation of benefits even if you still would have otherwise qualified.

It could help to call and talk to someone at Social Security who can tell you whether you'll most likely still be eligible for benefits and how much they could be reduced. The number is *****

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?