How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a custody hearing: Can ex parte orders be appealed when

Customer Question

In a custody hearing: Can ex parte orders be appealed when the ex parte order was rendered with no underlying action? Effectively, the ex parte order is for an indefinite period of time because there is no underlying custody issue/ future court date.Should it be a petition for writ of relief or a full blown appeal?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Basically the ex parte hearing is to only decide temporary issues; not all issues regarding custody. Traditionally the court will set a future hearing to determine permanent custody, but sometimes based on oversight, they fail to do so. In that case, the parent can file a motion for child custody and visitation, requesting the permanent schedule they are interested in, along with a declaration supporting their request.

This requires forms FL 300 and FL 310

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly

-Rate Positively-

This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Related Family Law Questions