Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am filing for divorce. We have been separated for 9 years.

Customer Question
I am filing for...

I am filing for divorce. We have been separated for 9 years. She up and left the state with the children and I have no clue where she is. Should I file it as abandonment or as a regular divorce ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends...once you file you will need to "serve" her...do you anticipate once you track her down and she realizes there is a pending divorce she will work with you? Or fight the divorce?