How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16372
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently trying to become a cop, however I have a

Customer Question

I am currently trying to become a cop, however I have a child. My daughters father is not at all involved in her life and I want to kind of know what steps I need to take to make sure that he cant get any type of custody of my child if I choose to reside back in the state we both lived in.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am currently in Maryland but I would be trying to move back to Illinois.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, he is nowhere on any of her papers for doctors or her birth certificate. There has never been any paternity proven
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to make sure that he wouldnt be able to get any custody. He also has a misdemeanor record of a couple thefts and 2 domestic battery cases, along with warrants that were issued,
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 9 months ago.

Hello there --


If you are steady and stable and have no parenting issues, there is no way that he would be able to get custody of your child under any circumstances that I can see. You generally have to have a lot of flaws as a mother and caretaker before they would consider someone who was not involved in her life and has a criminal record to have custody of her simply because he applies for such. I can tell you however, that if he steps forward and asks for visitation rights and agrees to a paternity test, then so long as he enters into a plan to pay back child support and begins to pay child support going forward, a court might award him some type of visitation. Generally speaking, something like that would happen on a supervised visitation basis only and for quite a while.


I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be paid for and given credit for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above in the star rating section. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I do go back and I choose to leave my daughter in Maryland with my parents how would I need to go about that? Also, if for some reason he decides that taking those steps to get visitation is what he wants to do, is there a chance that he could petition the courts to keep me from eventually moving from the state of Illinois? I only plan on being there for 2 years or less.

Related Family Law Questions