How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Conditional Permanent Residence that I was given in

Customer Question

I have a Conditional Permanent Residence that I was given in July 2014. I got divorced in June 2015 but my wife did not inform the immigration about our status. I have not gone back to Canada since then and my Conditional PR is valid till August 2019. As you would know the Government of Canada hasproposed new changes in the Spousal PR and it will remove the two year requirement for conditional PR by Spring 2017. According to CICNews "If the change is approved, it will apply to sponsored spouses and partners who are currently in Canada with conditional permanent residence, as well as to applications currently in process and future applications. Consequently, a sponsored spouse or partner who currently has conditional permanent resident status in Canada would have full permanent resident status after the change takes force, regardless of when he or she obtained conditional permanent residence." From: have a few questions based on this: a) Can I check my current status in Canada without jeopardizing my status? If so how? Technically since its been more than 2 years I should have become a full Permanent Resident by now. b) Should I wait till Spring 2017, when the law comes into place, before going to Canada or can I still go to Canada and without being questioned by immigration? What is your advice? c) Since I need two year period out of 5 to spend in Canada, what happens to my immigration if the law comes into affect too late for me to do my time in Canada to maintain my PR?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  retireddebra replied 8 months ago.

This question was placed on the Canada law list so I started to answer before checking your account.

I assume you want a second opinion so I will opt out.