How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanna adopt my girlfriends daughter i been with her for 8

Customer Question

i wanna adopt my girlfriends daughter i been with her for 8 yrs and.her daughterhas no father on the birth certificate amd i been in her life since she was 1
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In order to do this, you would likely have to first marry your girlfriend in order to be the mother's spouse and stepfather to the child. Then, you would need to file a petition for adoption and ask the court to issue a summons to the father (known or unknown) and then get a court order approving the adoption and amending the birth certificate to name you as the father.

This certainly can be done, but you must follow the proper procedure and get a court order to make things official and legal.

Related Family Law Questions