How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks! My daughter has ended an 18 year "common law"

Customer Question

Thanks! My daughter has ended an 18 year "common law" association with the father of her two minor children. Child support and custody issues have been resolved. She still has furniture items in "his" house, including several that were bought by her mother ($$). How is the best way to recover these (her) assets?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: LA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not in reference to possessions
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is pretty much it. I know that I cannot have deputy sheriff presence when items are possessed, except with a court order. The ex is very hostile and we don't want any trouble....just what is hers.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

The ONLY way to resolve this if he doesn't agree is with a court order. When you state custody and child support have been resolved, was there a lawsuit filed and a court order entered on those issues? If so, when? Was an attorney used?

Related Family Law Questions