How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117441
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

During a time that my current husband was combat injured, my

Customer Question

During a time that my current husband was combat injured, my ex decided to inflict a custody motion against me. He missed one day of visitation that he was offered make up time forn he lied and sued for contempt. Long story short I was threatened with 90 days in jail and over $15000 in costs for his lawyer guardian ad litem fees etc..not to mention the emotional distress he destroyed my husbands recovery. Turns out he was having an affair behind his wife's back the entire time he was claiming I was unfit. Can I now sue him to recoup my financial loses?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you win the case? How long ago did this occur?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We each ended up dropping our suits as I went for his financials - he owns an island in the Bahamas and has consistently lied and hid his money from the time of our separating. I was hit with contempt and forced to pay his legal fees but it was based on his false accusations and my limited ability to defend myself. I was certainly outmatched financially. This was in 2014 -15. The guardian ad liter appointed was knowingly a friend of his wife.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Unless you won the contempt of court issue and proved that the allegations were false, you could not sue him for malicious prosecution (filing false claims) and succeed in the suit against him I am afraid. In order to sue him for the false claims in court, you would have had to have won the case in court on the contempt of court matter. I am afraid at this point without winning on the contempt claim, you would not have any right to sue over this.

Related Family Law Questions