How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9415
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Marrıed my Türkish husband in Las Vegas 2002. İn 2003 we

Customer Question

Im Amerikan and marrıed my Türkish husband in Las Vegas 2002. İn 2003 we married in turkey. İn 2012 we divorced in the Turkish courts from our Turkish marriage. We are still legally married in America . I dont want to be, and whats the fastest least expensive way to have resolved. Also, im still living mostly in Turkey AND my ex husband never got American Citizenship if thats a factor. Thanks in advance
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Please look at

If it does not apply in your situation, then the Turkish divorce decree is valid in California and other US States, and you are not legally married anywhere.

As stated at

"To terminate a legal marriage recognized in Turkey, American citizens are required to obtain a court divorce decree from a Turkish civil court. Divorce decrees issued in jurisdictions outside of Turkey are not considered valid for purposes of divorce in Turkey."

Please let me know if you need more information prior to rating my answer.

I hope this information is helpful.