How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother lives in Minnesota he and his girlfriend have a 2

Customer Question

my brother lives in Minnesota he and his girlfriend have a 2 year old daughter. Girlfriend is an alcoholic drinks vodka day and night and gets violent. Police have been called.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No don't have the money called today and they want $ 5000.00 up front
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Police told him to take baby and leave he has no wear to go family is in Oregon
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 9 months ago.

This is the web address for low cost and pro bono legal help in Minnesota.

If he can't get help there, he might need to travel to Oregon and try to establish residency there and get a court case there. Either way, at this point, he needs to do whatever he can to get a Judge to give him custody of his daughter. Not all lawyers will want 5,000 upfront, so he can also keep shopping around on sites like

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can he take his daughter with him she is not safe with her and he will be staying with his parrents
Expert:  originallawyer replied 9 months ago.

Yes, if there is no existing court order that gives her custody, he is free to take her with him if he's on the birth certificate.

Related Family Law Questions