How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11814
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My "daughter", niece's mother died over 5 years ago. As a

Customer Question

My "daughter", niece's mother died over 5 years ago. As a family I am the one she has lived with the longest. Not sure who has technical custody. Her biologic father has not seen in in 6 or 7 years. She is now 16. How can I adopt her without a lot of legal fees.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in fl - biological father in sc
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not. She is a soph. in HS and went to her visit. Financial aid came into question and I have no answers. Her father wants nothing to do with her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just curious if I have to have a lawyer to file paperwork to adopt her legally or if it will be difficult due to her situation.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Will the father consent to allowing you to adopt the child?





Related Family Law Questions