How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] - I am in Colorado, US. How possible is is

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I am in Colorado, US. How possible is is that charges get dropped if I explain to those who arrested my boy friend that I have sever general anxiety disorder as well as mild panic disorder and the actions he took, trying to keep me inside and screaming, were all failed attempts to do a good intended thing which was to keep me safe. I was in full blow panic mode and was in no shape to be driving a car, which is what i always try to do, and he was simply trying to get me to sit down and calm down but I couldnt and thats why things were unnecessarily loud, prompting someone to call the police and take him away.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

I disagree with the other expert, who is knowledgeable, to a degree. Prosecutors normally don't like to drop cases because a "victim" has changed their mind and approaches them to drop the case. However, if you go to the lawyer for your boyfriend and let the lawyer handle it then the chances increase dramatically, particularly if you have medical records to back up your condition.

The lawyer for your boyfriend will know how to present the facts and your explanation in such a way that the prosecutor will have worries about being able to get a conviction thus making it more likely the charges will be dropped.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will my boyfriend be assigned a lawyer that I will be able to find when I arrive at the court room?How do I find our who his lawyer is?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not changed my mind, i told the inital officiers that he wouldnt let me leave the house, which is true. But the context in which he was keeping me in the house was for the state of my safety and to make sure I didnt hurt myself or someone else on the street in the condition I was in.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

If he asks for a court appointed lawyer and qualifies for one then it should show in his file and be a matter of public record.

As to the part about "changing your mind" please understand that is not my position, that is the outlook the prosecutors will have on it, mainly because it happens a lot. Whether you are taking a different position on what happened or why it happened, the prosecutors see a lot of cases where one person gets mad at another and calls the police and then wants to do something different when they calm down. It has gotten to the point where the DAs sometimes threaten to file charges against the person who made the report if they now want to change their mind.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand. Im not changing my mind, I didnt call the cops, I dont want him in jail for something that i caused is all. it doesnt say anything in his online file and idk where I would look in the public recorders. Who would I speak to day of to get that information
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, for some reason the website keeps erasing the answer I give.

I am going split it up into multiple posts to see if I can figure out what happened.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 9 months ago.

You can go to the clerk of court's office and ask to see the file. You can also ask the clerk who was appointed to represent him.

Related Family Law Questions