RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I have a question about fathers rights in Massachusetts. I

Hi there,
I have a question about fathers rights in Massachusetts. I have a 1 year old with a girl whom I had an affair with. I've been living with her for about 2 years now and things have been rough. I'm not sure we will make it. She has always told me that she would never keep my son from me but I am not sure at this time. If we did split up what are my rights as to raising my son and can she put stipulations on my time with him? Say if I did move back in with my ex for economical reasons, ( we have 6 kids together....4 are minors ) could she keep me from having my son at that house? I know there is a lot of factors but I am trying to be able to do the best for all my kids in a bad situation.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes – I’d like to review your question for a minute and then I’ll be right back.

Has paternity been acknowledged or established, either at the hospital or in court? Thanks.

I'm going to opt out.

Ray here a new expert to help you tonight.Since you are not married here you have potential rights.You would have to file for paternity/custody/support and have the court award you rights.Until you do that here since she is a single mom she can deny you custody or visitation.She could also relocate with the child.

Forms and self help to file for paternity and custody/visitation

http://nycourts.gov/courthelp//diy/paternity.shtml

The judge will name you legal father and set out your rights to joint custody and visitation as well here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more followup.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am named on the birth certificate and the baby has my last name.

So then you have great chances of getting at least joint custody and equal visitation time, you might be the primary one here if you can convince the judge you are the better parent.

I wish you the best with all.

If you can rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated,good luck in court.

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years as a family law lawyer .