Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Summary of situation: I am a grandmother of a 11 yo child

Customer Question
Summary of situation: I...
Summary of situation: I am a grandmother of a 11 yo child who is considered a behavior problem and is and currently in school at Sidney Lanier, a school apparently for very troubled children. His father, the guardian is in California, leaving the child in the care of a 19 yo brother and his girlfriend. The father has continued for years to prevent me from seeing the child though the older children in the family (10 children), a mother who died eight years ago. I am able to see the boy, Canoe, and find that he is very behind in school, and though 11 he reads as a second grader at best, ***** ***** know the months of the years, etc. I am not sure if he has a guardian ad litem. He has a psychiatric history and a brother who is in jail currently. My issue is wanting more access to the child and whether I should be granted guardianship. Or what my rights are as a grandparent with a child who is very vocal about what he wants.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida, Gainesville
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, and I am a retiree on a budgeted income.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are probably more facts as I am sure there are in all situations.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/13/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking the process you would use to try and get visitation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or whether leaving a child with a 19 yo constitutes abuse but first answer to visitation, yes

Thanks
I want to make sure I understand...you are in FL and the child lives in CA, is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. The child is in Fl. The father is in CA.

And you are in FL or CA?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in Fl where the child is and his 19 y/o brother as caretaker.

Thanks
And is there a court order regarding this?

Ely, Counselor at Law