How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Summary of situation: I am a grandmother of a 11 yo child

Customer Question

Summary of situation: I am a grandmother of a 11 yo child who is considered a behavior problem and is and currently in school at Sidney Lanier, a school apparently for very troubled children. His father, the guardian is in California, leaving the child in the care of a 19 yo brother and his girlfriend. The father has continued for years to prevent me from seeing the child though the older children in the family (10 children), a mother who died eight years ago. I am able to see the boy, Canoe, and find that he is very behind in school, and though 11 he reads as a second grader at best, ***** ***** know the months of the years, etc. I am not sure if he has a guardian ad litem. He has a psychiatric history and a brother who is in jail currently. My issue is wanting more access to the child and whether I should be granted guardianship. Or what my rights are as a grandparent with a child who is very vocal about what he wants.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida, Gainesville
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, and I am a retiree on a budgeted income.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are probably more facts as I am sure there are in all situations.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking the process you would use to try and get visitation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
or whether leaving a child with a 19 yo constitutes abuse but first answer to visitation, yes
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

I want to make sure I are in FL and the child lives in CA, is that correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry. The child is in Fl. The father is in CA.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

And you are in FL or CA?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am in Fl where the child is and his 19 y/o brother as caretaker.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

And is there a court order regarding this?

Related Family Law Questions