How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 28 acres. In 2001 I parcelled a lot to a grandson

Customer Question

I have 28 acres. In 2001 I parcelled a lot to a grandson against the advice of my lawyer. It was a warranty deed in Tennessee. I have a new marriage and son. The grandson now wants the deed to the lot. I wish to revoke this action.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I was coerced at the time by my first wife. The lot had illegal drug activy by some of her children. At the time I thought that might protect the whole property.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The deed was reported to the county and I have paid the taxes on the lot for all these years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to know if this can be reversed. The other party is now 18 and wants the deed next month.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 10 months ago.

Good morning and thanks for calling upon JUST ANSWER. Real estate law is very much state specific. Unfortunately, in a situation like yours, I doubt that we have anyone who is knowledgeable enough about Tennessee real estate law to assist you. I can only speak about general principles real estate law, and suggest that you immediately gather up copies of all the documents that you signed, and present them to a competent Tennessee real estate lawyer. Generally speaking though, what I can tell you, I'm afraid is not going to be good news. That is, real estate transfers, once signed, notarized, sealed and delivered to the transferee, are not reversible by the transferor. Without examining the exact documents that you signed, delivered and may have placed of record with your County recorder, it is impossible to tell whether or not you completed a transfer real estate to your grandson. If you did, then only your grandson can reverse it by deeding it back to you after attaining the age of majority which in Tennessee is 18. What puzzles me is that the other party is now "requesting a deed". The initial part of your information was that you "parcelled a lot" to your grandson. I do not know what "parceling" means in that context. That is why only a Tennessee lawyer can examine your documents and tell you with certainty whether or not you have created a situation that is irreversible.

I hope that this information is helpful enough that you will assign a positive rating for my assistance. Thanks again for using just answer.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.