Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have have been divorced since 01/2001. I was married

Customer Question
I have have been divorced...
I have have been divorced since 01/2001. I was married 04/1989. I have a ? regarding my divorce in that I was married over ten years in TX. I want to know if I can collect on his retirement. I am 59 years old, he is 62 years old.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I put in Tx.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is why I am contacting you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/13/2016
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can certainly draw social security here off his since you were married 10 years if you have not remarried.If the pension was acquired during the marriage then this is a community asset and you can return to court here in Texas and seek to divide the asset.It appears that at least part of it may have been acquired by the spouse during the marriage so it can be divided.You need a Texas lawyer here locally because a QDRO called a qualified domestic relations order is needed to be sent to the pension to get you paid.

Certainly you may have a community share for the 10 years if he contributed during this time to the plan.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more followup.

Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.

SUBCHAPTER C. POST-DECREE DIVISION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.201. PROCEDURE FOR DIVISION OF CERTAIN PROPERTY NOT DIVIDED ON DIVORCE OR ANNULMENT. (a) Either former spouse may file a suit as provided by this subchapter to divide property not divided or awarded to a spouse in a final decree of divorce or annulment.

(b) Except as otherwise provided by this subchapter, the suit is governed by the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure applicable to the filing of an original lawsuit.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, Sec. 1, eff. April 17, 1997.

Sec. 9.202. LIMITATIONS. (a) A suit under this subchapter must be filed before the second anniversary of the date a former spouse unequivocally repudiates the existence of the ownership interest of the other former spouse and communicates that repudiation to the other former spouse.

(b) The two-year limitations period is tolled for the period that a court of this state does not have jurisdiction over the former spouses or over the property.

Sec. 9.203. DIVISION OF UNDIVIDED ASSETS WHEN PRIOR COURT HAD JURISDICTION. (a) If a court of this state failed to dispose of property subject to division in a final decree of divorce or annulment even though the court had jurisdiction over the spouses or over the property, the court shall divide the property in a manner that the court deems just and right, having due regard for the rights of each party and any children of the marriage.

(b) If a final decree of divorce or annulment rendered by a court in another state failed to dispose of property subject to division under the law of that state even though the court had jurisdiction to do so, a court of this state shall apply the law of the other state regarding undivided property as required by Section 1, Article IV, United States Constitution (the full faith and credit clause), and enabling federal statutes.

Sec. 9.204. DIVISION OF UNDIVIDED ASSETS WHEN PRIOR COURT LACKED JURISDICTION. (a) If a court of this state failed to dispose of property subject to division in a final decree of divorce or annulment because the court lacked jurisdiction over a spouse or the property, and if that court subsequently acquires the requisite jurisdiction, that court may divide the property in a manner that the court deems just and right, having due regard for the rights of each party and any children of the marriage.

(b) If a final decree of divorce or annulment rendered by a court in another state failed to dispose of property subject to division under the law of that state because the court lacked jurisdiction over a spouse or the property, and if a court of this state subsequently acquires the requisite jurisdiction over the former spouses or over the property, the court in this state may divide the property in a manner that the court deems just and right, having due regard for the rights of each party and any children of the marriage.

Sec. 9.205. ATTORNEY'S FEES. In a proceeding to divide property previously undivided in a decree of divorce or annulment as provided by this subchapter, the court may award reasonable attorney's fees. The court may order the attorney's fees to be paid directly to the attorney, who may enforce the order in the attorney's own name by any means available for the enforcement of a judgment for debt.

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 768 (S.B. 866), Sec. 10, eff. September 1, 2009.

Texas law provides for such division post divorce if it got left out.

Lawyer for you here

Lawyer Referral Service  

Attorney · St. Johns

Address: Austin, TX 78752

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer