How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a term live in relationship and found out my

Customer Question

I have been in a long term live in relationship and found out my significant other was an imposter, liar, cheater and fraud, I moved out while he was away on business and took everything , can I be charged with any crime of any sort? What are my rights? Can I sue him?  JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: Houston texas JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: No JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: I am frim California, he proposed and moved me and my minor daughter here under false pretense. We have been engaged for 3 years only to find out everything about him was lies

Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you took property that belongs to him/was purchased by him, or property that the two of you owned/purchased together, then you could face conversion (civil) or theft (criminal) claims. More than likely, a court would consider these things civil since you lived together and this occurred as a result of a break up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can I sue him legally for the false pretense of the union, moving me here etc

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

If you didn't marry, there would be few claims possible. But, you may be able to sue under a claim of detrimental reliance....which is when you incur expenses and damages as a result of your reliance on the false representations made to you.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question, and please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!