How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Ohio, and asking for some guidance in obtaining

Customer Question

We live in Ohio, and asking for some guidance in obtaining guardianship/custody of our 4 yr old grandson.
HIs mother is neglecting & abandoning him. She locks him in his room at night so, she can sleep mornings. Our grandson is up by 6-7am & she notmallly doesn't rise until 11-12pm. It's a fact, documented she's using cocaine, has a warrant. She's been living with a man, who has treated her & her son well, while having relationships with men who give her drugs. She's now planning on taking our grandson to move 2 hrs away with a man who has 3 documented reports of domestic violence & drug history and has only known this man for 4 months. This is planned to happen in the next 2 weeks.
Our grandson has expressed that this man & mother is mean to him and afraid. HE never wants to go home when he's at our home. There's more... but, asking if thre's anything we can do, quickly, to ensure the health & welfare of our grandchild.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The best and fastest way to get something done is to contact child services and report the abusive and neglectful behavior of the mother and ask it to investigate the situation.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

If child services finds evidence of abuse and neglect, it will take action to place the child with you -- as the grandparent -- to keep the child safe. Once you have custody via a court order, you can ask the local family law court to make the arrangement permanent by finding that the mother is unfit to have custody of the child.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

But, if you can get child services on your side, they can be a big advocate for you to get permanent custody of the child.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If so, I'm happy to respond. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your advice.

Related Family Law Questions