How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have been Divorced since 06/1998 & separated 2 yrs prior. I

Customer Question

Have been Divorced since 06/1998 & separated 2 yrs prior. I had no drivers license to work and place to live . We had two small children of which I took full care of in motel friends etc.. My oldest son struggled so bad he attempted suicide two times with the second time fatal . Needless to say pretty much destroyed my second sons future as well . I suffered many job losses and home rentals just to be there for them and had continuous trouble paying child support where my x-wife was never supportive always leaving the kids in harms way . When my oldest son died I had a hard time working and making enough money ! fell behind in payments ! lost everything ! License was suspended ! no work ! Homeless Jailed ! then homeless for almost a decade . I was able by the grace of God to finally find work long enough to keep Child Support from always keep me battling the courts . I was employed for over a decade 24/7 up to September 2016. The CSED have hammered me in still owing $29K .in the arrearage's of one son ? Lost my first son 10/10/2001 and He was 20yrs old , which my youngest was 18yrs old at that time . I don't know how the State of New Mexico and my now x-married wife came up with that figure . I managed to care for them up until are loss and survive in extreme poverty with little money and on food stamps . On the other hand my x-wife was employed by the National Laboratory living in a three bedroom complex with full driving privilege's managing to prove primary custodian not using any of the privileges 'at that time and even now to care for her own children minus one. She has married and now lives a highly financially privilege life of real-estate and family inheritance and to this doesn't hardly ever contact her own son who struggles himself making a living . I have just relocated to southern New Mexico relocating prior three forest fires up north . I am struggling now with this high amount of back support and only have till the end of November to start paying over half my income once again .How do the laws apply still / arrearage laws within the state of New Mexico for the rest of my life if I decide to leave the state for good , My X-wife doesn't even live in this state . I choose to continue helping and being a family to my son still without any support from her new life . I would like to resolve this matter with this state . I lost a big piece of me trying to work with everyone regarding this destruction and need a plan ASAP
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yeah Have most of the case file in a storage i'm about to loose . where talking from 1990 to 1998 and then some
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will President Trump leave state supports in place long enough to reveal any justice for low income families
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

That is a hard situation. Unfortunately, the child support collection agencies of the different states communicate with each other, and no matter what state you move to, as soon as you get a job, your name will come up in their database and they will start the garnishment of the new job in the new state through the new state's child support services office.

The only way I have seen someone get out of paying child support arrears, was actually indirectly, because they paid off their child support arrears with a credit card, which they discharged in bankruptcy about a year later.

Sorry you are in this situation.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Can you please let me know if I answered your question? If so, would you please provide a positive rating? I really appreciate positive feedback. Thanks.