How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please provide more direction than to watch the obituaries.

Customer Question

Please provide more direction than to watch the obituaries. He lives overseas and this could be 20 or more years from now. I want a legal vehicle to attach this 'debt' legally to his bank account or estate NOW. There is no way for me to control what he does with his finances overseas and I am concerned that the monies may be invested blindlly, he may use them to buy into another company, or that he transfers assets to grandchildren. He is an astute business man, I know, we owned a business together for the 24 years we were married. He is clever and I need to be proactive in protecting my financial future. Please elaborate more how to attach this debt to his current standing. When we first married, his wife had a lien against him for unpaid child support - why can't I attach a lien, or other clause' to his estate at this time. For all I know, he may transfer his monies to overseas accounts. I need definitive direction and want to act now. I am a cancer patient and must make sure that my 'retirement' from our settlement does not get taken from me or hidden. Please offer ways I may attach his debt to a current day situation. I will gladly write a more positive review if I am offered more than 'watch the newspapers'. Surely, there is something legal for me to accomplish this. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If necessary, please forward this to a fellow colleague with experience in these areas if it provides more direction and detail. Respectfully, Cheryl
Expert:  originallawyer replied 8 months ago.

I appreciate your predicament. However, the information I have given is the only information I know to give. Your ex husband's ex wife was able to place a lien on his property for a child support debt because the debt had likely been reduced to a judgment probably due to his failure to pay. Not knowing the details of that situation I can't say more than that.

Unless he fails to pay you currently while he is alive and a Judge offers you a judgment, you cannot do anything other than try to stay informed of his passing. You may get another answer if you seek out the services of an attorney and have a consultation in person, however I do not think so. There is no estate to put a lien on until he passes and you can't get a lien until he (while alive) or his estate fails to pay you as ordered by the court.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I know he doesn't change his Will overseas? As far as I know, I am the only person with a copy of his will. He has not given a copy to his children - he would not want to incite animosity with them by letting them know what he has now or what he plans with his estate in the future. I need more direction. This puts me in a very vulnerable situation, particularly with him abroad and unreachable. This is a seven figure situation, I need you to be more precise and dig deeper as to my options and offer a course of action. Ironically, neither of our divorce attorneys are still practicing, I have tried that route.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Were my questions to 'original lawyer' forwarded to another attorney for a more in depth review and answer? If so, please acknowledge and advise. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions