Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in florida another man signed the birth certificate

Customer Question
of my son can they...
i live in florida another man signed the birth certificate of my son can they come after me for child support
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2016
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No the person that signed the birth certificate here if not married to mother would have also signed an affidavit of paternity and that makes him the legal father.If he was married to mother again under Florida law he is the legal father.

You would have no liability here if the other person signed as the legal father on birth certificate and affidavit of paternity.By signing here the birth certificate they assumed the burden as legal father under the law.You would have no potential legal liability since you are not named the legal father.The other person is responsible legally for supporting the child.Since you are not listed here you are not the legal father again under Florida law and no liabilities on your part to the child or the mother.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer