How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41063
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in florida another man signed the birth certificate

Customer Question

i live in florida another man signed the birth certificate of my son can they come after me for child support
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

No the person that signed the birth certificate here if not married to mother would have also signed an affidavit of paternity and that makes him the legal father.If he was married to mother again under Florida law he is the legal father.

You would have no liability here if the other person signed as the legal father on birth certificate and affidavit of paternity.By signing here the birth certificate they assumed the burden as legal father under the law.You would have no potential legal liability since you are not named the legal father.The other person is responsible legally for supporting the child.Since you are not listed here you are not the legal father again under Florida law and no liabilities on your part to the child or the mother.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Related Family Law Questions