Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was just provided a divorce decree- in the decree the

Customer Question
judge gave me a judgement...
i was just provided a divorce decree- in the decree the judge gave me a judgement for child support that is over 15% of what i should have to pay- she stated that she believed i was under employed voluntarily. My job has been affected by the divorce- actually my ex cost me my job when she turned my work phone off- she was found in contempt for this action. I was going to file a motion to adjust the child support along with a affidavit and my 2 most recent bank statements. I have also asked my ex's attorney for her income documents ( she makes 2 times what i make ) Do you see anything wrong with what i am doing>
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. If your ex caused your income to drop, then you're not intentionally unemployed. It's not right for her to profit off costing you income. You may have to show the judge what you've done in order to get your income back up to where it was before, but there's nothing wrong with filing a Motion to Reconsider or a Notice of Appeal. Typically, a judge won't hear a motion to adjust until it's been at least a year since the order was entered, and that requires a material change in circumstance.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions for a lawyer?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer