How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19321
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 17 year old step daughter that has many unfounded

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old step daughter that has many unfounded (and often fanciful allegations) regarding both her mother and me. She has been seeing one therapist or another since she was 4 but has been seeing the most recent one for 2 years. Her allegations have become more difficult to believe. In the last instance, she accused me of trying to kill her and her younger half brother, aged 9, (my son with her dad) with knives. The therapist called CPS. THe types of allegations have increased over the past 11 years her dad and I have been together. Although her brother denied all of the allegations when he spoke to CPS at school. While is in and of itself humiliating for that child and our family, how can we prevent her from causing further harm. Would any type of order or any other action help. She turns 18 on Feb. 1, 2017. There is also a brother who is 21, in Austin, step-sister, 20, in Austin, and a half sister, 6, at home.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

There is no way around this: you would have to tell your husband to find his daughter another living arrangement before she causes further damage to the family.

There is no way to get an Order to tell her not to be saying anything that would harm the family. There is no way the Court can issue such an Order because that would be an undue restraint on her freedom of speech. Second, the Court does not know if she is telling the truth or not. So, the Court cannot issue an Order preventing her from saying something.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Related Family Law Questions