Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Will try to keep this succinct. I adopted my son when he was

Customer Question
Hello - Will try to...
Hello - Will try to keep this succinct. I adopted my son when he was 14. He has many issues. He made good progress. Would still have serious meltdowns about once a month. This past summer (age 16.5) he became out of control. Lying, stealing, aggressive, verbally abusive, running away, pot use, etc. Police wouldn't help. Nor would county. County did throw resources at problem but that didn't help. Son expelled from school. Felt unsafe in my house. Continually called police and county (caseworkers). Finally one night I told him he couldn't come back inside (at least until he apologized and calmed down). County has police take him as an "abandoned child". I did want him taken and he so needs 24/7 supervision. What I take strong exception with is the lie that I "abandoned" him when I was trying to keep myself safe in my own house! I haven't been charged. Do I need to worry about being charged? My primary concern is that my son gets the help he needs. At the same time I don't want incomplete info and half truths by the county on my record somehow. Must this turn into a criminal case at some point? What do I need to be concerned about for me personally in regards ***** ***** issues?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/10/2016
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

It is unlikely that you would be charged with child abandonment or neglect based on the information that you have provided here because your action to protect yourself from the child does not constitute abandonment. However, it is prudent to refrain from speaking to the Police or Social Workers about the case because they may twist your words. If you are charged with child abandonment, you would need the services of a local defense of criminal defense Attorney to assist you with the case. If you cannot afford an Attorney, the Court would appoint one for you.

I hope your son gets the help that he needs.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law