Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm 17 years old turning 18 in two months. My living

Customer Question
situation is becoming unbearable. My...
I'm 17 years old turning 18 in two months. My living situation is becoming unbearable. My mother refuses to give me ger consent to leave her home. By law if I were to move out would i be forced to return?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have money saved up, I have a stable job and I am graduating highschool 3 days before my 18th birthday. I've already got a secure place to live. I've prepared myself to move out for about a year now. I'm ready. I just need to know if I'm able to.
11/8/2016
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

From a purely legal perspective, you are still a minor and could be compelled to return to your parent's custody if you left. There are roughly five ways a minor can obtain emancipation in Wisconsin: (1) being married, divorced or widowed and at least 16 years of age. (2) minor female who has given birth. (3) by court order. (4) by parental consent. (5) living on one's own and being self-supporting. Obviously, the first two are not applicable here, and it does not sound like parental consent is an option. Thus, that leaves either going to Court or simply moving out, establishing his own residence and supporting himself.

.

But from a practical perspective, it is very unlikely that the police would put a whole lot of effort into finding you and bringing you back home if you were to leave.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer