How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37071
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 17 years old turning 18 in two months. My living

Customer Question

I'm 17 years old turning 18 in two months. My living situation is becoming unbearable. My mother refuses to give me ger consent to leave her home. By law if I were to move out would i be forced to return?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have money saved up, I have a stable job and I am graduating highschool 3 days before my 18th birthday. I've already got a secure place to live. I've prepared myself to move out for about a year now. I'm ready. I just need to know if I'm able to.
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


From a purely legal perspective, you are still a minor and could be compelled to return to your parent's custody if you left. There are roughly five ways a minor can obtain emancipation in Wisconsin: (1) being married, divorced or widowed and at least 16 years of age. (2) minor female who has given birth. (3) by court order. (4) by parental consent. (5) living on one's own and being self-supporting. Obviously, the first two are not applicable here, and it does not sound like parental consent is an option. Thus, that leaves either going to Court or simply moving out, establishing his own residence and supporting himself.


But from a practical perspective, it is very unlikely that the police would put a whole lot of effort into finding you and bringing you back home if you were to leave.





Related Family Law Questions