How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is all involved in adopting my granddaughter? What must

Customer Question

What is all involved in adopting my granddaughter? What must I prove?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me more about the situation? Are the parents living? Do they want you to adopt? Why are you interested in adopting your granddaughter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The parents are living. no they don't want to adopt. my daughter and her daughter's father don't keep her feed right . and all they do is fight.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When are you going to answer
Expert:  originallawyer replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, if her parents are alive and do not wish to relinquish custody, it is not likely that you will not be able to adopt. You might be able to petition for custody. But it is unlikely that a court would terminate parental rights over an issue like feeding a child, especially since that can be easily remedied by the parents.

You may be able to petition for custody if you can show that you've had a "parent-like" relationship with your grandchild. But Wisconsin recognizes the right to allow parents to raise their children free from third party interference. If you are concerned about your grandchild's welfare, CPS can investigate the child's welfare. If they find an issue, then they might place your grandchild with you.