Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My ex wife had a child who is over the age of 18. she is

Customer Question

My ex wife had a child who is over the age of 18. she is still collecting child support but the child now lives with me. Is she still entitled to the support and/or can it be transferred to me.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your child moving back in with you is grounds to terminate support. You would need to file a motion to modify/terminate support with the court immediately and you cannot just terminate support on your own without a court order. You have legal grounds to file the motion to terminate support and provide proof the child is now living with you and the court will end the support payments.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.