How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Georgia family law, my understanding is that you can get

Customer Question

In Georgia family law , my understanding is that you can get divorced in a month . If I own a house w my husband , both names on the loan and the deed. My husband pays the mortgage currently but if we are divorced and the property hasn't sold does he still have to pay it even if he moves out ? Will I have to pay it , I'll be staying in the house .
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. That is correct, if it is uncontested then the earliest the decree can be entered is 31 days from the date of filing.

The agreement or the decree would need to determine who is responsible for the ortgage; normally it will be assigned to the person who remains in the house, if they can afford it; otherwise the court may apportion it between the two parties, or even order the other spouse to pay it 100%. Normally the person that has exclusive use of the home will pay at least that portion of the mortgage that would be what the fair rental value of the property would be.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

CheckING in to see if you have any questions about your divorce questions and the process in Georgia. let me know if you want any thing else!

Related Family Law Questions