LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

In Georgia family law, my understanding is that you can get

Customer Question

In Georgia family law , my understanding is that you can get divorced in a month . If I own a house w my husband , both names on the loan and the deed. My husband pays the mortgage currently but if we are divorced and the property hasn't sold does he still have to pay it even if he moves out ? Will I have to pay it , I'll be staying in the house .
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you for your question. That is correct, if it is uncontested then the earliest the decree can be entered is 31 days from the date of filing.

The agreement or the decree would need to determine who is responsible for the ortgage; normally it will be assigned to the person who remains in the house, if they can afford it; otherwise the court may apportion it between the two parties, or even order the other spouse to pay it 100%. Normally the person that has exclusive use of the home will pay at least that portion of the mortgage that would be what the fair rental value of the property would be.

CheckING in to see if you have any questions about your divorce questions and the process in Georgia. let me know if you want any thing else!