How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a temporary order that was issued in April that

Customer Question

I have a temporary order that was issued in April that states that I shall maintain health insurance coverage for the benefit of my ex and that he will reimburse me for the premium each month after receipt of documentation of the expense. My lawyer wrote it but then wouldn't send him the receipt for about 4 months and he wouldn't take the receipt from any one other than my lawyer- so now is a new enrollment period and I asked my lawyer for clarification on the wording of this order as in can I choose not to add him to next year's policy since his job offers insurance and I will be fined an additional $100 a month for covering him with my job. She will not answer my question and I only have 10 days to enroll.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes she will not answer my question
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Until that temporary order is rescinded by the court, you are bound to abide by it and you cannot cancel the insurance without going back to court to file a motion to modify or motion to terminate the order. If your lawyer was not sending him receipts and now is not answering you on this, it is time to consider a new lawyer, because your lawyer is not being responsive to zealously representing you and this is something your attorney should be addressing months ago to get the temporary order changed since his job offers him insurance.
Unfortunately, at this point since open enrollment is closing, unless you can get your attorney to file an emergency or ex parte motion to cancel the order about you providing the insurance or get a new attorney to do so, you would have to continue the coverage until that temporary order is changed or cancelled.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.