How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a parent, who have a 22 year old adolescent in my home.

Customer Question

I am a foster parent, who have a 22 year old foster adolescent in my home. He is currently on an extended foster care placement. he is also special needs. The foster care agency is suppose to help him find housing since technically he aged out of foster care at 21 year old. The agency has stopped providing services for him as they have not communicated with him and me in months. I've requested a final discharge meeting and nothing has happened. Also, and more importantly, I have not received compensation for him since August 2016 and have been given the run around. Yet, he is still listed in care with the agency. I need assistance in getting reimbursed as it is not fair that he is abandom in my home and I am financially supporting him our of me personal funds. And, if they are not providing services they need to discharge him from care instead of still receive funding from NYS. Thank you
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York State
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No that's what I am trying to do now..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry, but what is your specific question for us regarding this matter?

Have you contacted NY Adult Protection Services about removing the adult from your home?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I have not contacted Adult Protection Services as the 22 year old is in the foster care system. I am seeking help in getting the foster care agency to fulfill their obligation in providing services as well as compensating me for my services! As I mentioned, they "dumped" or abandom this adolescent in my home, yet and still they have him listed in the foster care system as receiving as active!! They are receiving state funds for care of this person that is not being provided. When I say he is "special needs" I am not referring to a mental or physical disability rather a sickness.If I turn to social media and contact a TV station, people would never want to be a foster parent, if the practice of dumping kids in your home because they technically aged out of foster care but still need services! Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Thank you for your reply.

Before you try the media, you need to contact Adult Protection Services, because even though he is still listed in the foster system, he should not be and as a foster parent you should not be saddled with him at this point either. Legally, adult protection needs to step in and take control over him as a disabled adult in need of protection and to find a placement for him away from your home. That is your first step.

Second step is you have a right to file a claim for compensation with the foster agency for the time they left him in your care and if they refuse to pay, then you have a right to file a suit against them for your claims. You need to send them a written demand for payment and inform them this is your mandatory written notice of claim against them and demand payment. Once you file that with them, if they refuse to pay you can sue in court for the compensation you are entitled to from them for the time they left him with you when they should not have done so.

Related Family Law Questions