originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

The father of my 2 sons has agreed to terminate his parental

Customer Question

The father of my 2 young sons has agreed to terminate his parental rights. He is a drug user and convicted felon. CPS has not been involved because he has stayed away. Is there anyway we can do this ourselves or does a lawyer have to be involved?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

You can do this on your own in most states, but I do not recommend it. Terminations have a lot of moving parts.

Most states are also going to require that there be a stepparent waiting to adopt the child. Many times, the termination is done at the same time as a step parent adoption. Courts do not like to leave children with only one legal parent supporting the child.