How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The father of my 2 sons has agreed to terminate his parental

Customer Question

The father of my 2 young sons has agreed to terminate his parental rights. He is a drug user and convicted felon. CPS has not been involved because he has stayed away. Is there anyway we can do this ourselves or does a lawyer have to be involved?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 9 months ago.

You can do this on your own in most states, but I do not recommend it. Terminations have a lot of moving parts.

Most states are also going to require that there be a stepparent waiting to adopt the child. Many times, the termination is done at the same time as a step parent adoption. Courts do not like to leave children with only one legal parent supporting the child.

Related Family Law Questions