How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102496
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Will a Motion to Modify the Divorce Decree be considered a

This answer was rated:

Will a Motion to Modify the Divorce Decree be considered a "Stop Action" to the "Final Decree"?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What do you mean by "stop action?" This is not a common phrase.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
By stop action I mean: Is there a way to halt the proceedings and final decree of the divorce and/or stipulations of the divorce if I wish to modify the divorce decree, such as I want my spouse to give up my last name?
Ah, okay.
The filing to modify itself does not stop anything. However, you have the option to file a Motion to Stay (stay meaning pause), asking the Court to "stay" any enforcement/action of the decree you are attempting to modify, while the modification is pending.
Then it will be up to the Judge to decide whether or not to grant the motion to stay.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you