Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

Can a twelve year old decide who she wants to live with in

Customer Question

Can a twelve year old decide who she wants to live with in Baton Rouge, LA?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NOT ABOUT THE LEGAL AGE SHE CAN CHOOSE TO LIVE WITH.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not necessarily.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

No, a 12 year old is a minor and they have no legal power to determine where they live. Only their legal guardians have the authority to make that determination. That remains the case until the minor turns 18 as then they are legally an adult and can choose where they live.

.

A judge may listen to the preferences of the 12 yr old, but their desires are by no means determinative. A judge has to make decisions that are "in the best interests of the child" and whether the child agrees or not, the judge has the final determination to make.

.

.

thanks