How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am needing to ask someone about a family law question,

Customer Question

I am needing to ask someone about a family law question
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: There is currently a parenting plan in place. There has been child abuse in the past and the children are now 9 and 7. The mom is denying the father the proper visitation rights and as of today the children have said they no longer want to reside with their mother or go to the school they are currently enrolled in because of bulling. The mother made it known today that she is working over nights 6 to 6 and the children have been having a family member come over and watch them over night while the mother is at work
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is the majority of it
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

First of all, the court will take into consideration the wishes of the child but only if the court is convinced that the children can articulate their wishes, this normally takes place at around 12 years of age so it is unlikely that the court would take into account the wishes of the the children since they are so young. Even if they were old enough the measure for the court is what parent are in the best interests of the children. Their wishes are only taken into account by the court and other factors are as well. If there is abuse then you need to document evidence of this for the court. The mother cannot deny visitation and you need to file a motion to enforce the custody order and ask the court to make up lost visitation. This would also be a strike against her and if there is a material change in circumstance you can ask for modification and try to change the custody order.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Family Law Questions