How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has published slandering and untrue information

Customer Question

My wife has published slandering and untrue information regarding me and "drug use" along with my true sexuality on her facebook page, causing me loss of clientele from previous detailing jobs, and destroyed my reputation at her current work my former work (a public community college). What can I do? We're currently divorcing
JA: Have formal divorce proceedings begun? At what stage of the process are you?
Customer: Yes, we're in the property negotiation and debt settlement. She's bitter because she has to pay spousal support to me
JA: Because family law varies from state to state, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a postnuptial agreement, a clause within, contains the stipulation that if either party were to cheat the cheated on party would retain all marital assets, the cheater would retain ALL debts. She cheated on me. I have not submitted this document yet.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can sue her in court within 1 year of her making those comments and causing you harm. You would sue for slander/libel and also for the common law tort of false light, which is part of the invasion of privacy torts. You would be able to sue for all damages you incurred as well as attorney's fees for her willful and malicious conduct. As part of the suit you can seek an injunction to prevent her from continuing to make such false and malicious statements.
You also need to introduce the postnuptial agreement immediately and use that to put her in her place as well. It is time to stop being nice with her.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.