How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has been incarcerated & has signed grandparent power

Customer Question

My son has been incarcerated & has signed grandparent power of attorney over to me temporarily. im confused on how to file this with the court
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Ohio, union county. i havent filed it yet because i have this form called parenting proceeding affidavit but im not sure if that contains to me or this.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: CPS is working with us and just told me to file the signed & notarized poa
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have to send a copy certified to the mother that is incarcerated in womens reformatory right. My son was issued custody in May 2015.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You do not have to file the Power of Attorney with the Court. The Power of Attorney (POA) is valid at time of execution. So there is no need to file it with the Court. It is valid as is provided it is signed and notarized.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Related Family Law Questions