Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband secretly got an apartment. I found out by

Customer Question
snooping. WE have a 17...
My husband secretly got an apartment. I found out by snooping. WE have a 17 yr old daughter and he told my daughter he will stay at apartment 4 days and our home 3.he said if not he will get a divorce.he said he wants freedom and a place to bring a friend he might meet while he is out.He also has a roommate ,a female.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/4/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about this and what you are going through. Can you please share with me what your question is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I get him for abandonment

Thank you for the reply. There are two elements that have to be present in order to constitute abandonment: the willful desire or the intent to desert/abandon and the cutting off of the marital relationship. In Florida, the abandonment has:

• continued for 12 uninterrupted months;
  • must be willful and malicious;
  • beyond any reasonable expectation of reconciliation.

If this can be shown, it would be a ground to file for divorce. However, if he is living in the home and the rental and you are allowing it to go on, the court may have issue with this, as a basis to divorce.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law