How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you. My legal question is regarding my 9 year old son.

Customer Question

Hello and thank you. My legal question is regarding my 9 year old son. My ex husband and his new wife with two other children are suing me for a few things. My ex is a corrections officer and his wife is an RN. I am an army disabled veteran, a full time college student and am only living off of my military benefits. I have been making this sacrifice for over 3 years now with low income and making ends meet. I proved my income to them telling them its not that I didn't want to give them more child support but I didn't make enough. I have been paying for my sons medical and dental insurance and told his father I could not afford both. Now they want sole custody and are requesting back pay from Jan 2015 to now. they want me to continue paying the insurance and $234.00 more a month. My question is what are all my options here, I do not have money for a lawyer.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: I see never mind thank you anyhow.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have been served and have until November 9, to file a response
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My disabilities are chronic major depression and anxiety I cant handle what they are trying to do to me when all I want is to be an independent woman and graduate. If it would make the process easier I would be willing to give up my rights because I don't want to live under their rule of my life using my son against me.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You are going to need to get a local attorney and go to legal aid office near you and seek assistance. I say this because legally in NV the child support is set by the statute and based on your income and I am afraid that if you are not paying enough based on your income and what the statutes state the court has no choice but to make you pay support based on the statutory table. Here is the NV child support calculator so you can see what you should be paying (keep in mind insurance is an extraordinary expense)
You giving up parental rights is not going to absolve you of child support obligations. In order to be absolved of child support obligations your ex has to sign a contractual agreement that says you are giving up your parental rights in consideration of him waiving forever any further child support and if he is not willing to do this then you can still be liable for support.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions