Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am trying to write a letter to the courts - on behalf of

I am trying to write a letter to the courts - on behalf of my husband- to request physical, full and primary custody of his 15 year old son who recently requested to reside with us.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: This is in Macomb County Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, we are not in a position that we can afford one.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I understand that it is very difficult to take custody from a mother however she hasn't worked in years, lost her nursing job due to stealing and using narcotics and the minor was smoking marijuana as recently as July. Additionally he was suspended from school last year for 11 days and failing.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us about this situation?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need direction on how to type a letter to the courts to request physical, full and primary custody of a 15 year old who requested to reside with his father. The mother hasn't worked in several years due to getting fired for stealing and abusing narcotics, has resided in 4 different places in 2 years, and wasn't able to curtail the child from smoking pot, getting suspended for 11 days and failing school.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately we are in no position right now to pay for anything monetarily other than filing the motion. My husband was injured at work and he is still responsible for paying child support.
Thank you for your reply.
Here are the motion to modify forms if you do not have them, since you writing a letter to the courts is not how to deal with his situation (http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/modification-kit).
You have the grounds for modifying/changing custody. First, the mother is providing inadequate supervision for the child. Second, the mother has a substance abuse problem which she is displaying in the presence of the child. Third, she is failing to properly insure the child does his school work and is allowing the minor to use marijuana. Fourth, she is failing to provide a stable living environment for the child. Finally, the child's wishes are to live with the father based on the unstable current home environment.
You list all of those grounds in the motion to modify/change custody and file it with the clerk and you send mom a copy and the clerk will set a hearing date.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is excellent and helpful information. Thank you so very much.
Thank you for your reply.