How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a child support agreement which is more than the

Customer Question

I have a child support agreement which is more than the Georgia guideline. My ex has now decided to pay less because our daughter is now in college. The child support agreement states the he must continue to pay me directly. What are my options?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I now reside in Georgia. Agreement was made in New York.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.


If he wishes to pay less, he would need to go back to New York and file a modification on the original order and show why he should pay less. He can't just unilaterally decide to pay less.

If you want him to keep paying the original amount, you would need to file a contempt action against him in New York, or register the support decree in Georgia and ask them to enforce it.