How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a call from the state police yesterday asking me

Customer Question

I received a call from the state police yesterday asking me to come in to talk . Not sure what this is about except i live with my fiance. The social service called her and her kids in 2 weeks ago and asked if they have ever been touched in any way that they didnt want to. Of course the answer is know but now i am being asked to come in tomorrow morning at 9 am ..
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I just got the call yesterday . Maryland.. She went in for questions to social services 2 weeks ago
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that i am aware of..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am not trying to scare you by what I am about to say. I say it because I have seen this many times before. I have been an attorney for more than 3 decades.

My answer to you is comprised of 3 words. Don't Do It! Do not voluntarily go in to speak to the police. In this situation I can virtually guarantee that you are a target of their investigation. What probably happened was that a neighbor, teacher or someone else reported to CPS that one or more of the children was molested. The parents and the live-in adults are always the persons looked at first, and foremost.

The fact that the police now have this investigation and you are not being called into CPS is another huge red flag.

I urge you in the strongest way to immediately retain a local criminal defense attorney. The next step---when you don't voluntarily go in to the police department----will likely be an arrest warrant being asked for to a local judge, for your arrest by the police. Also, if you do go in for questioning, there is also a very good chance that you will be arrested at the conclusion of the interrogation. I have personally seen this work this way and I know what I am talking about, so give heed. Get yourself an attorney and speak to no one else about any of this situation. You need to protect you, and right now.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The department they called me from was cps inside the state police does that make a difference
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


No, that does not make a difference. The fact that CPS has a few people in the State Police Department only means that they are exclusively dealing with people they are seeking to charge with crimes.

You may want to consider asking for a phone call so that we can speak me privately about all of this. After all this is a public forum and this thread will be visible to the public though Google. You can get a call from me by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your screen if you wish.

Otherwise, if you don't need a call, do please rate my service so I can be paid for having helped you, and perhaps helped you avoid arrest.


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good day,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,