How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28038
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child support was in divorce decree, but Father has not paid

Customer Question

Child support was in divorce decree, but Father has not paid child support in 4 years. Do I need a court order? How do I get it? I am on food stamps, Medicaid, etc. Can I go to court myself?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Cumming GA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The Father is a massage therapist and washes dishes at Carrabiss Restaurant. He takes all payments in cash from his clients so we can't prove his income. We know he makes about $30,000 a year, and he has a porno addiction. He paid off a car repair last month for $2,700 that he borrowed and wrecked in one month. He has had a least 5 wreck in 5 years. My daughter was in one wreck. Also, his car broke down, transmission, no air conditioning, and flat tire on side of road at 2 am in July on the way to Fla. 3 years ago. We don't want her to be in the car with him. Can we get a restriction in the decree?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you do have options and do have a legal right to get the support which the children are legally entitled to. You can go to court yourself and speak with the clerk of court in the family division and ask for the forms to fill out and file, to hold him in contempt of court for failing to pay support, as ordered by the court. He will have to come before the Judge and explain this and the Judge can compel him to pay or sanction him or place him in jail. You can also reach out to the State for help and I have provided a link below, to see if they can assist in going after him and even garnishment of his wages.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!