Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I want to get a marriage license. i live in florida, but we

Customer Question
want to get married in...
i want to get a marriage license. i live in florida, but we want to get married in Nevada or california. can we get married in another state? we ll live in florida.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/2/2016
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You may get married in Nevada easily. In Nevada a marriage license is issued the same day that you apply. You do not need to be a Resident of Nevada to be married. Florida must recognize your Nevada marriage. See this resource for more information on Nevada marriages:

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/clerk/services/Pages/MarriageLicenses.aspx

The same is true for California. The license is issued the same day and you do not need to be a resident.

See here:

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage-license/california/county-clerks-recorder/office-requirements.shtml

You do not need to get the license in Florida. You must get the icense in the State where you are getting married.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we would like to make a pre marriage agreement regarding property or anything we get during marriage and keep it as separate, is it possible in florida? with just a contract signed and validated with a notary is sufficient? do i need to hire a lawyer for this?

This is called a Prenuptial Agreement.

You can do it yourself. Here is an article that explains how and includes a sample form:

https://www.theknot.com/content/prenuptial-agreement-sample-form-mistakes

Here is a copy of the Florida Law on prenuptial agreements:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0061/Sections/0061.079.html

Good luck and Congratulations.

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer