How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who is in the process of getting her papers

Customer Question

I have a friend who is in the process of getting her papers here in the US. workers permit and so forth. However, I want to either "adopt" her or be her legal guardian or sponsor. She is 31 years of age and has a 2 and a half month old child. She has never been married and has no family here in the States. Is this possible? She lives with me
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. The baby is out of wedlock and the baby daddy is on the birth certificate. He was married and has been just legally divorced. in the meantime had the baby with my friend and she didn't know he was still married. They do not have "custody" over the child. Can I file for custody or part time custody while my friend files custody of her baby so that the baby daddy can't take away the baby from her? He is threatening her to go to the police and say that she kidnapped the baby if she left his house. Can he do that
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You want to adopt your friend, or her child?

Is the reason why you wish to adopt in order to make her immigration matter easier?