Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Paying alimony. Ex is living with paramour. Is it better to

Customer Question
Paying alimony. Ex is living...
Paying alimony. Ex is living with paramour. Is it better to schedule a motion to and maintenance or to not pay and be held in contempt. Trying to get this issue addressed quickly
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2016
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

What does your order state regarding this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maintenance terminates upon cohabitation or marriage
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Problem is the court date is five months from now and that would be a sizable amount of maintenance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?

Then your best option would be to file for modification. Simply not paying and then being held in contempt doesn't actually tell the court that you want to stop paying support. You can ask for the modification to be retroactive to the date cohabitation began, and then she'd be ordered to pay you back.

I can't tell you to not abide by a standing court order. A Judge would likely not do much to you for not paying, especially if she's already cohabitating, but it really does depend on the Judge. It might be possible to get an interim order allowing you to stop payment. Other wise, my official information to you is that it's in your best interest to continue paying.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You are welcome

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney