Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What steps in the state of North Carolina do you follow when

Customer Question
you receive a absolute divorce...
What steps in the state of North Carolina do you follow when you receive a absolute divorce form delivered by a sheriff to you from your spouse how do you proceed to respond to the absolute divorce paperwork and how do you proceed to divide up the assets you have such as house and car.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/1/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Law Tutor, Esq.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; the information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

In North Carolina, the defendant has 30 days to prepare and file an Answer and possible counterclaims. So if you were served with a summons and complaint for absolute divorce, you must file your responsive pleading within 30 days. In your Answer and Counterclaim you may raise the issues concerning the division of assets, such as the house and car. The process for an absolute divorce usually takes about 45 days, but more if you have other issues to address, such as the division of assets. Here is a link to a Pro Se Absolute Divorce Packet. Although this is for Durham, it may be a little different depending what court you are in. You can call the clerk's office to see if they have a similar packet, or just use this one as a guide. The clerk's office may also have the forms that you need to file a responsive pleading. You can give them a call. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.

Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer