How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42818
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been married 6 weeks and my spouse was arrested for

Customer Question

I've been married 6 weeks and my spouse was arrested for domestic abuse on our wedding night. She was drinking alcohol the entire day of our wedding and may have used drugs later that night (early morning). I gave her this 6 weeks to see if she would get counseling and/or stop drinking, but she hasn't. Also, our marriage license which I may not have signed, has not been turned in by the officiant who is her step-father. Am I legally married? Can you recommend a lawyer if I need one?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

You aren't legally married unless the license is filed here in the county where you were married.If this gets recorded then you would have right to seek annulment.If you didn't sign it here either it would not be valid or record able.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.


After the marriage ceremony, you will be given a copy of the marriage license. The officiant must
then mail the white copy to this court. After the license has been recorded and placed in the
permanent files, you may obtain a certified copy.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Unlike a divorce that dissolves a valid marriage, an annulment is a legal decree declaring a marriage void from its inception. Annulments are rare and only granted in unusual circumstances.

You may receive an annulment if . . .

  • You and your spouse are related as follows: parent/child, stepchild; grandparent/grandchild; aunt/nephew; uncle/niece.
  • You did not have the mental capacity to enter into a contract.
  • You were under the age of 16 when you entered into your marriage.
  • You were forced to enter into the marriage.
  • You were fraudulently induced to enter into the marriage.
  • Your spouse was married to another living spouse at the time you entered into the marriage.

Yu have a real good chance to prove annulment here.

I appreciate the chance to help and wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.