How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in an abusive relationship. My wife used to make as

Customer Question

I am in an abusive relationship. My wife used to make as much as I make (200K/year) and she was laid off in 2015 and she refused to work and continues to abuse me. Now I am the only working spouse and I have two kids 13, 12 years old. I need to know if I pursue a divorce, how much I need to pay for child support and alimony? we have a house valued at 1.4 mil, loan is about 413K. I do not mind if they live here and I pay for all their health insurance. Need to know a ballpark number to move forward. Thank you.
Best Regards,
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Robert,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades.

You will obviously use an attorney for your divorce give the fact that so much depends on a good outcome.

The fact that your wife is capable of earning as much income as you do but she refuses to work will allow you and your attorney to argue that income should be imputed to her. Given that imputation of income it is possible that she will not be entitled to any spousal support.

As far as child support is concerned, if you are each earning about the same amount of money---or she is able to earn if she gets off her lazy keester and goes to work---then your child support payments would be about $2000 per month--presuming you have the children about 30% of the time. If you have them more than that, there will be a bit of a decrease in your child support payments.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,