How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have conservatorship of my 11 year old daughter. My

Customer Question

I have conservatorship of my 11 year old daughter. My company is shutting down and moving. I have an opportunity to move to Midland TX but my ex says no. He had it put in the decree that I could NOT move but he allowed me to move to a surrounding county. THis would be 4 hours away. I do NOT have the money for an attorney as I am a single mother but I would better myself and make more money if I could transfer Will a Judge allow this
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO do not have 20,000 to give them
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There's a good chance that the judge will allow you to move with your daughter if you submit a Motion to Modify the request before you move. A court order can be modified at any time when there is a material change in circumstances, and your upcoming job loss is considered a material change. The judge will want to hear about how the move is best for your daughter - you can talk about things like the quality of schools in the area where you're planning to move and any other ways she'll benefit from living in that area. Try to focus on things other than the increase to your income, if you can, although you can mention that you'll be better able to provide for her if not unemployed.

The judge is also going to want to see that you have a plan for how your daughter will still be able to see her father, so make sure to address that in the motion. You can talk about any buses or trains between the two locations, look into whether there are flights that make sense, or provide some other proposal for getting her back and forth. The judge can ask that you be required to pay any increased travel costs.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Family Law Questions