Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife and I have separated. She was in detox for 5 days. I

Customer Question
My wife and I have...
My wife and I have separated. She was in detox for 5 days. I was asked to leave the home. We own the property together. Am I allowed to return to the property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/30/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Is there any pending legal documentation? Who

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Who made the request (ie spouse, police, attorney)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went to the house she told me to leave or she was going to call the police. I did nothing. Did not go inside. Asked her to talk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We never saw each other or spoke face to face

Thank you; I am sorry to hear you are having marital difficulties. One party cannot unilaterally "kick" the other person out of the jointly owned marital home; in order for one party to have the exclusive use and possession of the home, this requires a court order to that effect (it's referenced as a move out order). Some separated spouses will apply for temporary relief while the divorce is pending- ie alimony, determination as to payment of debt, move out orders.

But absent this, both parties are equally entitled to the use and possession of the home.

If one party secures a restraining order, then the judge may also (and typically does) order one party to move out of the house.

If the parties are somewhat amicable, they may draft a separation agreement deciding who will have use of the home, who will pay what bills, etc, to help with the issues until a judge may decide what is appropriate.

Since Kentucky is a "no fault" divorce state, if one party voluntarily moves out of the house, this does not affect property division down the road.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Checking in on the above?

I certainly hope this works out with minimal upset as divorce can be very upsetting, but 90% of cases do resolve without trial.

Thank you for using justanswer.com

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer